Frequently Asked Questions
1.What is SCORE?
SCORE is a volunteer nonprofit organization dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and helping small businesses start, grow, and succeed nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA) and has been mentoring small business owners for more than 40 years.
2. How many SCORE chapters and volunteers are there nationwide?
There are 364 local chapters and 13,000 volunteers nationwide.
3. How many volunteers does GreaterRochesterSCORE have?
Greater Rochester SCORE has nearly 90 volunteers. Some are currently employed or own their own business, and many are retired business executives/owners.
4. What services does SCORE offer?
Greater Rochester SCORE offers free counseling services. This applies for the life of your business or as long as needed. We also offer an extensive variety of low cost workshops and seminars for start-ups and existing businesses.
5. What geographical area does GreaterRochesterSCORE cover?
Greater Rochester SCORE works with clients inMonroe,Livingston,Ontario,WayneandYates Counties.
6. What is the cost for SCORE counseling sessions?
Since SCORE mentors are volunteers, we can provide all our counseling sessions free of charge. However, our organized workshops have small nominal fees to cover expenses.
7. How do I request a SCORE counseling session?
You can fill out a request for counseling on our website (scorerochester.org.). We will contact you by email or telephone to set up an appointment with an appropriate mentor. You can also make an appointment by calling our central Greater Rochester SCORE office at 585-263-6473. There is never a fee to receive SCORE counseling.
8. Where will the counseling session take place?
The initial meeting is usually at theFederal Building in downtownRochester, or one of our suburban locations throughout the Greater Rochester SCORE area. Please see our local phone numbers.
9. Do you have counselors in all types of business?
Not all, but we do have a wide range of knowledge in business matters. In some situations we may encourage access to our national e-counseling system for answers to specific questions.
10. Does SCORE provide mentoring for established businesses?
Greater Rochester SCORE can provide individual mentors or special teams of mentors with appropriate skills to support existing businesses.
11. Do I have to be in business to receive counseling?
SCOREcounselorswill help whether your business is open or just an idea that you have.
12. Does GreaterRochesterSCORE provide counseling to non-profit organizations?
Yes, Greater Rochester SCORE has a team of volunteers focused on providing counseling for non- profits.
13. Will SCORE help me write my business plan?
Your SCORE counselor will provide you with information, tools, methods and guidance to assist you in preparing your business plan. We will review and critique it. We also offer workshops on preparing business plans.
14. Will SCORE counselors recommend professionals, i.e. lawyers, accountants, etc.?
We will identify multiple professionals, who have served small businesses well, for you to consider.
15. Will SCORE counselors tell me what business to go into?
This decision is only yours. However we may assist you in finding good matches for your interests, resources, experience and market situation.
16. What if my counselor and I are not a good match?
You may request a different counselor for any reason. Our counselors may also bring other counselors into the mentoring program for their particular expertise.
17. Does GreaterRochesterSCORE offer workshops?
Yes, Greater Rochester SCORE offers a variety of very low cost workshops and seminars for start ups and existing small businesses.
18. Where are GreaterRochesterSCORE workshops offered?
Half-day and full-day workshops are usually offered at theFederalBuildingor the Rochester Business Alliance offices in downtownRochester. We also offer workshops in the evening at various locations throughout Greater Rochester.
19. Does SCORE have a national website?
20. What is the relationship between SCORE and the SBA?
SCORE is an SBA resource partner that provides counseling services to small businesses. However, we are an independent non-profit corporation that relies on support and alliances with other organizations with similar objectives.
21. I need financing. Does SCORE or the SBA loan money?
SCORE does not loan money, but we can assist you in preparing loan applications for your business. The SBA generally does not loan money, but does provide loan guarantees if certain conditions are met and arranged through your potential lenders.
22. I need a grant. Does SCORE or SBA offer grants?
We do not offer grants but may be able to direct you to possible resources and assist you with preparations. We are not grant writers.
23. Why does SCORE offer services for free?
We know that starting and growing a small business is both a joy and a challenge. Your time and resources are precious. We care about you and your community. We have the resources….and our own business model enables us to do this.
24. How can I become a SCORE volunteer?